Thursday 21 June 2012

I love CPD...

I knew this would happen...I'd finally get around to starting my blog only to get bogged down with work and not have much time to update it!  Anyway, I'm here now so lets share some positivity...one of my favourite aspects of teaching - CPD (Continuing Professional Development).

In the last week or so we have had two staff training days (although you are still at work it is quite honestly the simplest of treats to sit down at lunch time and actually get to catch up with other staff for once!) and I went on a course in London.  I got the opportunity to stay with an old friend from University (and reminisce about when all we had to worry about each day was what the waves were like!) and also went on a training course for teaching A Level Product Design. 


For me, the best thing about courses like this (apart from the one hour lunch break, 3 course meal and a nice sunny walk in Hyde Park) is how they reignite your passion for a subject and can be a great source of inspiration.  If a course is delivered well, delegates get the chance to share good practice and it also gives you the opportunity to reacquaint yourself with skills you may have forgotten you had. 

These sketches for a shelter at a nature reserve took only a few minutes.  As a result, I am going to deliver a project based on 'the built environment' and encourage students to enter this competition.


I have also been inspired to start thinking about my own personal projects.  My boyfirend and I both have backgrounds in Design (he is superbly talented with an MA from the RCA) and would quite like to create our own Garden room...

GARDEN ROOM Found at http://www.gardenstudios.tv/

No comments: